Sunday 26th September, 9:30am sermon by Ps Ian Beaman
Questions for Discussion (Matt 15:21-28)
1. Why does Jesus go into the area of Tyre and Sidon – which is outside the known boundaries of Israel – if he knew he was sent “only to the lost sheep of Israel”?
2. Why was Jesus silent when it seems the Canaanite woman was persistently crying out for mercy, even to the point of annoying the disciples?
3. Why does she say, “have mercy on me”, when it is her daughter that is possessed by demons?
4. Is likening this woman to a dog an insult, or a true picture of her position as being outside God’s chosen people?
5. Why is she credited with having “great faith”, when at first reading, it seems she is telling the Lord that he is wrong?
6. What are the requirements for “great faith”?