Sunday 14th March, 9am sermon by Rev Dr. Andrew Menzies
Questions for discussion
- Jesus said, “Blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God” (Matt 5:8). What is this purity and how is it achieved?
- Discuss the Biblical understanding of shalom (Matt 5:9). How can we apply shalom daily in our loves? What things block shalom? Does someone in your discussion group need prayer for shalom?
- The eighth beatitude (Matt 5:10) raises issues about awareness for Christians who suffer for righteousness and promotion of the gospel. What situations locally and abroad are you aware of that this affirms. Be sure to pray for these brothers and sisters before you move along to the next question.
- The final beatitude (Matt 5:11-12) continues the idea of the previous beatitude and affirms those who suffer because of Jesus. They are in good company including the prophets. How did the prophets suffer?
- Jesus discusses salt and light. Discuss how this applies to your daily life.