Sunday 7th March, 9am sermon by Rev Dr. Andrew Menzies
Discussion Questions Matthew 5:1-12 (Part 2)
- The metaphors of back-to-front or ‘inside-out’ or ‘upside-down’ have been used to compare Jesus’ beatitudes with the popular culture of the western world where we live. How do you experience that and how do you response to this challenge?
- Discuss Matthew 5:4 (second beatitude). How do you understand this and do you find it to be true?
- Meek means quiet, gentle, and easily imposed on; submissive. How do you understand being meek and yet not unnecessarily used and abused? Discuss.
- Do you hunger and thirst for righteousness? How? What does that look like?
- Mercy has two elements: compassion expressed though feelings and actions and compassion expressed though forgiving and being forgiven. Discuss examples where you have seen this employed and what difference it has made?