Sunday 20th June, 9:30am sermon by Rev Dr. Andrew Menzies
Questions for Discussion – Matthew 8:18-34
- Discuss how you interpret Matt 8:18-22. Was this an impossibly hard approach from Jesus or was the disciple stalling his/her followership?
- What parallels do you see between the Old Testament story of Jonah and Matt 8:23-27? Have you even seen the connection before?
- The text then moves to the story of the two demon possessed men in Matt 8:28-34. Can you see the connection Matthew is perhaps making between turmoil at sea and inner, demon-created turmoil? Discuss.
- Drawing the two scenes together (Matt 8:23-27 and Matt 8:28-34)
- What are some experiences you have had in your life where Jesus has brought peace over a storm?
- What are the things that you need Jesus’ authority over at the moment?
- Stop and pray for one another’s needs.