Sunday 21st March, 9am sermon by Owen Woodall
Matthew Chapter 5:17 – 20 Discussion Questions
1) How does Jesus living in complete obedience to the Law provided in the Old Testament “reveal the Law” to us? How does this add to what is already there?
2) How many prophecies of the Messiah can your small group name in 3 minutes? Set an alarm, ask someone to scribe, and name as many collectively as you can (if you can’t remember the exact passage of scripture in the 3 minutes, its ok to come back to this afterwards!) What kind of impact does it make on your faith in Jesus to see Him living out and fulfilling each of these?
3) What do you understand the difference to be between how the Scribes and Pharisees were “obeying” God’s Law, and how Jesus was telling His disciples they needed to obey God’s Law.
4) What does it mean for believers to have God’s Law “written” on their hearts (Jeremiah 31:33) under the New Covenant? And how does having the Law in our hearts interact with having a new spirit inside us (Ezekiel 36:26)?
5) What do we receive from the Law and Prophets today, given that Jesus has already fulfilled them?